2020 Bay Access Summer Sailing
Hosted By Bay Access at Lakewood Yacht Club
Week 1: June 15 – 19
Week 2: June 22 – 26
Week 3: June 29 – July 3
Week 4: July 6 – 10
Week 5: July 27 – 31
Week 6: August 3 – 7
$400 per week
The week of class runs 9:00am through 4:00pm, Monday – Friday
All you need to know – Click Here
Beginning Sailing Classes Hosted by Lakewood Yacht Club
These programs are designed for kids ages 7-18 with little or no sailing experience. During the program, the participants will learn basic sailing skills, water safety, seamanship, and team building with the help of our exceptional staff of trained and accredited coaches and instructors. The emphasis will be on safe and fun sailing education. The program will use Optimist and FJ class boats—owned and maintained by Bay Access—that provide a solid platform for quick learning.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (832) 256-6865.
On Monday morning, all students will meet at the Lakewood Yacht Club pool where parents/guardians will have to sign their children in. On all other days, you should drive to the LYC Seahorse Lounge to sign your sailor in and drop off. Upon arrival, sailors will check in and meet with their instructor on the back porch of the Seahorse Lounge. At the beginning and end of each day the group will review the days plan and discuss the skills to be learned. This is an essential component of an efficient, effective, and safe sailing class. After the briefing, the sailors will proceed with water activities. The class will take a break for lunch during which they will cool off in the classroom and have a chance to reapply sunscreen.
Inclement Weather Policy
Throughout the summer, storms can inhibit our practices and force us indoors. In an attempt to keep social distance in our groups, classes will be canceled for the day if the forecast calls for storms throughout the day. The decision to cancel practice for the day will be communicated through email the night before.
Being Prepared – All Sailors Should:
- All sailors must bring their own PFD (life jacket) that is designed specifically for watersports and has the sailor’s name written visibly on it in permanent marker. Wear a Coast Guard approved PFD type III (personal flotation device) at all times when on the dock and on the water. The sailor’s life jacket must fit properly and be in good condition. The straps should be tightened so that the life jacket doesn’t float over their head and prohibit them from getting back in the boat.
- Bring a simple lunch and a healthy snack or two.
- Bring enough water for the day.
- Wear waterproof sunscreen (high SPF, with ability to reapply throughout the day as necessary).
- Wear sunglasses with both 100% UVA & UVB protection (polarized are best) on a lanyard.
- Wear a hat with a clip so it can be tied to the life jacket.
- Wear a bathing suit and a long-sleeved swim shirt, rash guard, and/or sun shirt.
- Wear closed-toe fast drying, soft, light soled shoes, water shoes, or sandals (not flip-flops).
- Bring a towel.
- Attach a whistle to their life jacket or PFD.
Please advise the instructors in advance of any medical issues or medicines that your child requires.
Waterfront Director Terry Flynn
LYC Main Office / Security
Lakewood Yacht Club
2322 Lakewood Yacht Club Drive
Seabrook, TX 77586